Saturday, May 2, 2009

We're Going to Ukraine!

Our appointment date in Ukraine is set for May 18 in Kiev at 11:00 am! We received the word on Wednesday while we were in Texas with my 8th graders on a mission trip. We were living and working in a homeless shelter there, so the whole experience was rather surreal!

Our first response was to panic because of the suddeness of the appointment. But then Mark and I cried and prayed together. We have been waiting so long for this!

The next two weeks will be an absolute whirlwind. We have been gone this entire last week, so we have lots to catch up on here. We'll be in Texas again next weekend for Nathan's graduation from Abilene Christian University (we're so thankful we won't have to miss that!). Then 4 or 5 days after that we'll be on a plane to Kiev. Mark will have much to do to leave all the demands of preaching and ministry to others while we'll be gone for up to 6 weeks. I will have to scramble like crazy to get all my important projects and grading for report cards done before I leave. In addition, I'll have to leave lesson plans for a sub for the last week to week and a half of school and I'll have to get my classroom all packed up and stored away before I leave. Whew!

Yes, it will be incredibly overwhelming, so we appreciate all prayers you can offer on our behalf. God is so good, and we know He will provide everything we need. We can't wait to bring Zhanna and Ella home, and for all our friends and loved ones to meet our beautiful Ukrainian daughters!

I'll try to write more, as time allows, before we leave. May God bless us, every one!
Dawn and Mark

4 comments:

tjohearn said...

The timing may not be the best from your viewpoint, but apparently it is from God's. We are with you all the way. I have already volunteered to help preach in Mark's place. If I still had my NM teaching credential I would offer to take Dawn's place, too, but I let that expire more years ago than I care to think. (And it was in history, too.)

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Congratulations! I know of two other families with appointments on the same day.

You can buy almost anything there as far as toiletries. Just remember to pack light. You'll be hauling all those bags wherever you go!

June

The McEacherns said...

Have a safe trip. This is a beautiful time of year to be in Ukraine. We look forward to following your journey, and we'll be praying for you. Blessings!

Cheryl Russell said...

Hello Dawn! Wonderful news! I loved reading this post and catching up in where God's mercy has led your family in the adoption process. How amazing! What great news! Your faith and trust in the Lord is truly an encouragement.

I love your idea to have everyone come over and bless the girl's room. Post some pics and we will offer prayers as well!

May God continue to bless all of you. We will keep you all in our prayers. Peace to your house!